Remember the good old days when we didn’t know how unhealthy it was to deep fry fish in vegetable oil, coated with breaded batter? When I learned how toxic, fattening and inflammatory that was, I was devastated because that was one of my favorite meals!
Well, I’ve brought back the fried fish part, and I’m still working on the “chips” part, experimenting with jicama, but that will be in another post once I perfect that one…
Here’s the fish part of that delicious meal, but without the inflammatory vegetable oil and insulin spiking breaded coating, yet it tastes the same or even better than my old-school fav!
Ingredients and instructions:
- Put 3/4 cup almond flour in bowl #1
- Put 2 eggs and 2 Tblsp water in bowl #2 and mix with a fork
- Put 2 cups pork “bread” crumbs in bowl #3
- Add 1 cup shredded cheese (I use Parmesan) to bowl #3
- Mix and mash bowl #3 with a fork to get rid of any clumps
- Coat fish filets (chicken strips work great too) in almond flour in bowl #1. Roll them around so they are coated on all sides
- Immerse filet in bowl #2
- Roll filet in bowl #3 to thoroughly coat with “batter”
- Place the filets in the air fryer and cook at 330 for 20 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Note: In another version, I added 1 cup crushed macadamia nuts (or chop full nuts into crumbs with a food processor) to bowl #3 and that was amazing too!
Now, how about a rockin’ fish cakes (or crab cakes) recipe? Click here for that!