Whaaaat?!? Keto soft pretzels? Oh heck yeah, thanks to Bev’s friend Kat – who has three kids and a six pack – thanks to her keto-eating, and keto recipe searching and tweaking!
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella
- .75 cup almond meal/flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 Tblsp cream cheese
- 2 eggs (one for dough, one for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon pretzel salt or another coarse salt
- Or 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 3 tablespoons erythritol
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Place mozzarella & cream cheese in a medium-sized microwaveable bowl and microwave for about 1.5 minutes. Stir to combine everything. Make sure all the cheese is melted.
- In a separate bowl, add almond meal, eggs, and xanthan gum. Mix until combined.
- Add the hot cheese mixture to the almond mixture and work them to into each other (a rubber spatula works, or wetting your hands and kneading it in the bowl). Mix until you have a homogeneous dough.
- Portion dough into 4 balls and on a Silpat or parchment paper and gently roll each one out to about 15″ log (having wet hands will help from sticking to you). Then form pretzel twists (some artsy talent required).
- Beat remaining egg in a small bowl to make your egg wash. Brush onto each pretzel.
- Sprinkle on toppings, covering the dough completely.
- Place pretzels on the lined sheet pan and bake for about 15 minutes, or until to dough is slightly golden.
Makes 4 big pretzels (or more smaller ones).
Adapted from https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/44nasu/soft_pretzels/