- 1 loaf low carb stuffing bread or low carb bread (see below), crumbled or cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6-7 cups chopped celery – about 2 small bunches
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 tsp poultry seasoning, such as Bells
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Salt – start with 1/2 tsp, or 1 tbsp chicken or turkey soup base (see below)
- 1 cup water or broth, plus more according to moisture needed
- 1 – 3 eggs if baking it, and if desired (nutritional info includes 1 egg)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Make low-carb stuffing bread. Different types of bread will bring different results, so you may have to adjust the amount of liquid, seasonings, etc. I based the nutritional information below on using my homemade stuffing bread. In any case, allow the bread to dry out for awhile, either on the counter on in a low oven. It doesn’t have to be totally dry, just kind of stale-level dry.
- Saute’ onion, celery, and pepper until soft. Add parsley and cook for a minute or so, until wilted. Add seasonings. I include about a Tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon Soup Base at this point.
- Mix together the vegetables and the bread. Add a cup of broth or water, stir, and taste. Adjust seasoning and moisture. If you’re going to stuff poultry with it, leave it on the dry side because it will absorb a lot of juices during cooking. You can eat it just as it is, but if you bake it, the flavors will come together better. Adding egg will make it culminate in a melded-together form. I usually add one egg, but I don’t like it too melded. You can add 2, or even three eggs. Mix well and bake at 350 F. for about half an hour, or until browned on top.
This makes quite a lot of stuffing! Divided into 12 generous servings with 218 calories each. Each serving has 9 grams of fat, 18 grams of carbs (but with 4 grams fiber, it has a net carb count of 14 grams) and 9 grams protein! This food is entered into our online food database as “X Gym Taz’s Holiday Stuffing.”