Recipe courtesy of RussFit.com (To see the full recipe video by PJ and Russ, click here)
- 12-20 pieces of bacon (as rectangular as possible)
- 1 lb. hot ground sausage
- 2 tbsp A1 Sauce (or any low-carb barbecue sauce will do)
- 4 oz. cheese (organic grass-fed preferred)
- Lay the bacon out flat on a piece of aluminum foil. Lay 8 or 10 side-by-side, and see if the width of the entire spread is about equal to the length of a single piece. If so, you’re right on track. Now weave bacon the opposite direction into the bacon that’s on the foil.
- Flatten out the sausage on top of the bacon weave. Try to get the depth uniform.
- Add some fun other protein sources: cheese, fried eggs, more bacon…really, you’re only limited by your imagination here. Gotta say, eggs are an awesome addition.
- Gently roll the sausage over on top of the interior ingredients, being careful not to make a hole in the sausage.
- Now roll the bacon from the other direction over on top of the sausage, creating a wondrous, bacon-y shell.
- Add your sauce. Spread it all over the top and sides. DON’T add a high-carb BBQ sauce. Look for as few carbohydrates as possible.
- Bake it at 385˚F for 45 minutes, and you’re golden.
Slice it, eat it, but try to not cry. Seriously. It’s THAT good.”
Makes approximately six 4 oz. servings.
Nutrient Breakdown (per serving):
- Each serving has 420 calories
- Fat: 32 grams (if using 12 pieces of bacon)
- Carbs (net): 1 gram
- Protein: 26 grams
*The Nutrient Breakdown is an approximation and will change if you decide to add additional ingredients on top of what’s listed.