- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 red/1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 lbs. ground bison (or organic grass-fed beef)
- 4 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 8 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 12 oz. jar salsa
Thoroughly combine all ingredients and cook in large crockpot for approximately 6-8 hrs. You can also prepare the chili in a large skillet if you do not have a crockpot available to you.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat melt the oil and saute onions, garlic, celery, and bell pepper until onion is translucent, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Next add in ground meat, thyme, chili powder, and cumin, stirring frequently, for approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Lastly pour the salt, tomatoes, and salsa into the skillet. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour.
Makes approximately 8 LARGE servings.
- Each serving has 284 calories
- Fat: 7 grams
- Carbs (net): 19 grams
- Protein: 38 grams